09 October 2012

An Epic Quote for the Ages


…No harm was done, and Krat noted that her crew had all done their jobs.  Some were slow, however, and these must be punished…
            She beckoned the chief tactician, a tall, burly Paha.  The warrior stepped toward her.  He tried to maintain a proud bearing, but his drooping cilia told that he knew what to expect.  Krat rumbled deep in her throat.
            She started to speak, but in the emotion of the moment, the Soro commander felt a churning pressure within.  Krat grunted and writhed, and the Paha officer fled as she panted on the vletoor cushion.  Finally she howled and found relief.  After a moment, she bent forward to retrieve the egg she had laid.
            She picked it up, punishments and battles temporarily banished from her mind.  In an instinct that predated her species’ uplift by the timid Hul, two million years before, she responded to the smell of pheromones and licked birthing slime from the tiny air-cracks which seamed the leathery egg.
Page 37 – Startide Rising by David Brin


All I can really say about this is…. Bwahahaha!  I don't know if this will continue to be funny later in the book, but right now, I am loving Brin's irreverence and his kind of odd ball humor.

As I mentioned, I’ve a lot of reading to do this week, luckily it is coming along…ahem…swimmingly!  

3 comments:

  1. hahahahahha! that was awesomely unexpected. epic is right. thanks for sharing!

    ~L (omphaloskepsis)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to share it. After literally laughing out loud, Ali asked what was so funny and after trying to explain it, she just looked at me like I was crazy.

      Delete
  2. I may have snorted wine through my nose.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...