08 June 2012

Zelazny...


I have been dreading this post for a long time now.  It should have been weeks ago that I arbitrated over yet another Master of the Precious determination.  The contenders: This Immortal v. Lord of Light.  They were two very different experiences and I willingly admit that this forum of blazing through books each week was not conducive to an appropriate and fair reading of LoL.  So how do I make this determination?

I will make note of a couple of things.  First, TI has aged very well.  I recall that it was difficult to get into, but now my only recollection is that it was insanely fun.  I am confident that TI would re-read very well.  LoL has also aged well, though not even close to TI and while I think it would fare much better in a re-read, it will definitely require some time to mull over.  LoL was thick not in size but in concepts, theology, mysticism and mythology.  In that way it would appear LoL is at an advantage since TI was a much more straight-forward and plain story.  I just can’t get over how much fun TI turned out to be though.

I’m reluctant to get too deep into this one since it seems LoL is clearly the better fighter in this match, but as a result didn’t train thoroughly enough.  With EXTREME RELUCTANCE I have to call this a TKO by This Immortal.  If you never got around to reading the review (or the book for that matter), do it now.  It doesn't feel right to say, but I guess that means in this case, LoL is just a stupid, fat hobbit.just a stupid, fat hobbit.


I know this will disappoint some, but I have to base my decision on my experience during the challenge, and with that in mind LoL was left lacking.  I’d put money on Lord of Light in a rematch though…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...