13 April 2012

1966 DEATHMATCH Rounds 1 & 2


Without further ado...

ROUND 1 QUOTE SMASH

Here we have two books told in very different formats.  This Immortal uses extensive dialogue to advance the plot and as such, the “quotes” are not so much fortune cookie sound bites as they are funny or terrible exchanges.  You’ll notice they all include Conrad.  I posted an Epic Quote while I was reading this which dealt with Conrad’s attitude – which was mostly pretty hilarious.  Sure they probably won’t make you stop and think the way Dune’s quotes might, but for me these moments stuck in my mind.  Dune on the other hand was excessively quotable and it was difficult to choose only four to use in battle.

This round is not so much about which book was more quotable though so as Supreme Arbiter, I’ll only be comparing whatever my fickle desires direct me to at the completion of the Deathmatch.

Dune
There is probably no more terrible instance of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man – with human flesh.

From Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib by the Princess Irulan

This Immortal
“I am a body guard, Karagee.”
“No, Hasan.  You are the son of a dyspeptic Camel.”
“What is ‘dyspeptic,’ Karagee?”
“I do not know the Arabic word, and you would not know the Greek one.  Wait, I’ll find another insult. –You are a coward and a carrion-eater and a skulker up alleyways, because you are half jackal and half ape.”

Conrad Nomikos and Hasan

Dune
There is no escape – we pay for the violence of our ancestors.

Paul Muad’Dib

This Immortal
“I do not want to kill you, Karagee,” he said.
“I share this feeling.  I do not wish to be killed.”
“But we must fighttomorrow.”
“Yes.”
“You could withdraw your challenge.”
“You could leave by Skimmer.”
“I will not.”
“Nor will I withdraw my challenge.”

I stood then and moved off toward the place where I had cast my pack.
“I am sorry that I must kill you in the morning,” he called after me.

Conrad Nomikos and Hasan before their duel

Dune
No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero.

Pardot Kynes

This Immortal
Then: “Look at me!  I am going to put the blade in very slowly.  I am going to dine on you one day.  What do you think of that?”
I laughed.  It was suddenly worth laughing at.
His face twisted, then it straightened into a momentary look of puzzlement.
“Has the fear driven you mad, Commissioner?”
“Feathers or lead?” I asked him.
He knew what it meant.  He started to say something, and then he heard a pebble click about twelve feet away.  His head snapped in that direction.
He spent the last second of his life screaming, as the force of Bortan’s leap pulped him against the ground, before his head was snatched from his shoulders.
My hellhound had arrived.

Moreby and Conrad Nomikos

Dune
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense.  But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

From The Sayings of Muad’Dib by the Princess Irulan


 
ROUND 2 FAN BLAST

One of my favorite takes on Baron Harkonnen as imagined by Edward Pun at Art of Edward

I always enjoy what fans do and create to add to their favorite fictions so I had to include it in the Deathmatch.  This one is fun… but totally lop-sided.  Dune is one of the most popular SF titles ever and has spawned feature length movies and TV series.  Clearly it is much easier to find Dune-inspired fan-things.  At this point I think This Immortal practically bows out of this round unless anyone can point me in the right direction, in which case they will surely win a large degree of my favor.

This Immortal
I’m not sure this counts but it is my favorite cover:



Dune
Dune has inspired so many people that it’s hard to compete with.  Of course there are the film/television adaptations, but I’m not sure that counts as fan creations.  The following blog includes the artwork from a number of artists and is completely Dune related.  Oh and there’s a TON of great work there, so check it out.  Here's one my favorites at Project Sand but there is a lot of other extraordinary work there so please go check it out.

Original artwork from WO"DZGN on Project Sand


And let’s not forget the "progressive metal" band SHAI HULUD

I’m not a fan of the music and I wanted to link it up, but I just couldn't bring myself to assault you with that so you'll have to poopgle it yourself.  You have to admit it's a damn good name for a metal band.




So what do you think so far?  I'll reserve my final judgement until all 5 rounds are complete but whaduya say, wanna double down on those bets?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...